Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Elusive Image Photography • View topic - Monitor

Monitor

Photo equipment and photo sofware reviews.

Monitor

Postby jamesfc on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:14 am

The days of the CRT are now behind us and that leaves us with little choice, but LCD monitors. However, there are three basic technologies for making LCD monitors, TN, S-IPS, and VA, and only the S-IPS based monitors are good for photography and video production. Unfortunately, the price tag of these monitors is also rather high, beginning around $800 and climbing to a couple thousand dollars.

However, back at the beginning of the year (2009), Dell announced a new monitor, the 2209WA. Look at the specs: 1680 x 1050 resolution, VGA and HDI plugs, E-IPS based technology, 4 USB ports, fully adjustable stand, 22" widescreen, only $279! The photo boards have been buzzing and early adopters have been very pleased with the quality of this monitor. If this wasn't good enough news, Dell has twice put the monitor on sale, once for around $210 and most recently for $250.

The e-IPS is apparently an "economy" IPS technology, but the monitor supports excellent color gamut and a 178 degree viewing angle. Anyway, I bought one and will be posting a complete review shortly. I understand this monitor is only available from the Small business and Gov't section of Dell. Don't be fooled by the 2209W model, that is TN based technology, is much cheaper (around $179) and is not recommended for photography.
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Re: Monitor update

Postby jamesfc on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I received the monitor and could't be more pleased. As soon as it is calibrated, I believe it will have a better image that the aging Lacie Blue that it is replacing. I recently read a review on a German website that not only gave it high marks, but also tested that it displays 99.5% of the sRGB color gamut.
jamesfc
Site Admin

Re: Monitor

Postby jamesfc on Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am

The monitor has now been calibrated with the Monaco system and I am still very pleased and impressed with the image and color quality of this monitor. It does have a very wide range of viewing angles, it is an ideal size for my workspace, and the color/image quality is great, and finally, the price is right!
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Postby aprillove20 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:02 am

jamesfc wrote:The monitor has now been calibrated with the Monaco system and I am still very pleased and impressed with the image and color quality of this monitor. It does have a very wide range of viewing angles, it is an ideal size for my workspace, and the color/image quality is great, and finally, the price is right!

Sounds like you are really satisfied with what you've got! Well,that's good to know! :)
Los Angeles Camera Rentals here http://www.losangelescamerarentals.com
aprillove20

Postby jamesfc on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 am

Yes - this has been a very good monitor and I'm very pleased with it! It holds the colors nicely and has good contrast as well as a wide viewing angle!
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Hello new member introduction

Postby Hiffzemezen on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 pm

Hello everybody. I am here to take advantage of the new member section and say hello:=) I live in Santa Rosa (very nice city you should check It out.) Joined earlier today and so far so good. Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Good point

Postby seamstart on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 am

Great post, thank you very much...........................................

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
seamstart

Test, just a test

Postby wayneeocoe on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 am

Hi, I am new here. Thanks for sharing the information.
wayneeocoe

Return to Reviews