Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Elusive Image Photography • View topic - Day 5 April 4

Day 5 April 4

2009 daily travel journal to western Turkey. Journal begins March 30, 2009.

Day 5 April 4

Postby jamesfc on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:48 pm

I woke up early this morning to attempt a sunrise shot from our balcony, but it was a bit cloudy and the sunrise didn't look that good, so I went back to bed. I arose about 90 minutes later, opened the curtain and was amazed to see dozens of hot air ballons filling the valley! Tomorrow morning we are going up in the balloon!

Cappadocia and Goreme (the town where we are staying) is incredible. It resembles Zion national park - on steriods! We are staying in a beautiful hotel and our room resembles a cavern much like the ruins all around us. It is amazing to realize that people have been living here in these carved out caves for 2000 years or more. Some of the earliest known churches are located here - carved into the the rock walls.

At one of the open air museums we saw this local lady sewing scarves and asked to take her photograph. She politely sat through the set up of my flash gear and I just emailed a copy of her portrait to her. Here is one I did of her hands:

_MG_3785-sm.jpg
Hands
_MG_3785-sm.jpg (165.35 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

At one of the rock formations we stopped at for late afternoon pictures, we ran into this odd horse. The poor thing had a big hump in the middle of its back and it walked funny. It also had a face that only a mother could love! Sort of reminded me of an old cigarette ad for some reason. I think I'll call him Joe.

_MG_4037.jpg
Camel
_MG_4037.jpg (171.23 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

The apricot trees were in full bloom as well as other local trees that bear a fruit similiar to an olive and had the most beautiful lavendar blossoms. The contrast between the stone and the delicate blossoms is just amazing.

_MG_3759.jpg
Cappadocia dwellings and fairy tale chimneys
_MG_3759.jpg (251.93 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

It turned out to be such a clear day that we had a very unusual view of the 14,000 foot volcano that is responsible for this unusual landscape and incredible scenery. We rushed back to Goreme to catch the fading sunset on this snow covered mountain. The final effect reminds me of Mount Fuji in Japan.

_MG_4107.jpg
Mount Erciyas
_MG_4107.jpg (178.65 KiB) Viewed 3931 times

Tomorrow we have to get up early for the hot air balloon ride and we are going to see the Whirling Dirvishes, so hopefully we will have time to post.

Later!
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Re: Day 5 April 4

Postby maryellen on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Sounds like you're having a great time! The pictures are fantastic-but I do keep having visions of poor Carolyn trudging along, buried in bags full of lenses and tripods. Let her take a ride on Joe to save her back ;)
maryellen

Re: Day 5 April 4

Postby jamesfc on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:39 am

The last time I saw Carolyn, she and Joe were heading off into the desert sunset.

:D
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Return to Turkey 2009