Gear

In Sept. 10, 2009, I lead a photo tour to western Canada for the purpose of photographing grizzly bears, black bears, whales, eagles, and fascinating landscapes. For future check http://www.outdoorphotoworkshops.com.

Gear

Postby margaretvb on Mon May 04, 2009 10:12 am

I have a question about gear for the trip. I want to be able to capture
animals close up. What kind of lenses will I need? I shoot with a Nikon
D200 which is the last of the "not-full-frame" Nikons. (well, at least at
that level.) My longest lens is AF VR Zoom-NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED.
Do you think that will be adequate? I don't know how close we will be able
to get to the bears and eagles. I would love the new 600mm lens, but it
isn't really practical right now, given the economy.
margaretvb

Re: Gear

Postby jamesfc on Mon May 04, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks for the question!

Although this will also be my first trip, I've been told that we will be quite close to the bears, so an 80-400mm f/4.5 should be ideal. Hopefully the orcas and whales cooperate and approach the boats as closely as they reportedly did last year. However, again the 80-400 should be perfect. In fact, I longer lens would be very difficult to shoot with in a rocking boat - but the VR will be very useful! For the viewing platform and the beach shots of brown and black bears, a lightweight tripod is recommended.

There is a 20-25 pound limit on bags on the floatplane to the lodge. This is a weights and balance safety issue. However, I'm hoping we can redistribute some of the gear to get the equipment that everyone needs to the lodge. We are considering this restriction on future trips and I'm going to check to see if we charge a bit more if it is possible to secure an extra flight for extra equipment. I would like everone's thoughts on this as well!
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Re: Gear

Postby jamesfc on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:54 pm

To update the question about the weight limit - I got them to use a larger plane, so we don't have to stick to the 25 lb weight limit. We can't go crazy - but if you can keep your travel weight to the lodge to around 40-50 pounds, we should be fine! I realize some people may have a bit more and some less - but as long as we average out to that amount there shouldn't be a problem.

SInce we are photographers, I think we bring some different requirements than their usual customers which are fishermen. The fishermen generally use the tackle gear available at the lodge and are traveling much lighter!
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Return to Bears, Whales, Eagles 2009