Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/4035912/html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Elusive Image Photography • View topic - Stock Images Search Statistics

Stock Images Search Statistics

Sales of photos for stock photography or general image sales

Stock Images Search Statistics

Postby jamesfc on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:38 am

One of the best ways to ensure you have the photos that are being purchased, is to know what photo buyers are searching for. I checked with Alamy (one of the top 4 photo stock agencies in the world) and here are the stats for the past 30 days (these are the actual search words most commonly used):

dog - 19 unique searches - 0 sales
    globe - 19 unique searches - 1 sale
    cat - 19 unique seaches - 0 sales
    dubai - 15 unique searchs - 1 sale
    house - 15 unique searches - 1 sale
    world map - 15 unique searches - 0 sales
    woman - 13 unique searches - 0 sales
    heart - 13 unique searches - 1 sale
    money - 13 unique searches - 0 sales
    beach - 12 unique searches - 1 sale

What I find interesting is the common assertion that photo buyers normally search with multiple and very exact wording does not seem to be the case. Also, dogs and cats, which are generally regarded as poor sellers, are in the top 3, but did not generate any sales. In fact, of these top 10 searches, only half yielded sales.

When I turn this around and search by actual sales here are the results:

low carbon - 2 unique searches - 7 sales
    miner's strike - 1 unique search - 5 sales
    jayne mansfield - 3 unique searches - 4 sales
    polar bear cave - 1 unique search - 4 sales
    sandwich board - 6 unique searches - 4 sales
    shetland isles - 1 unique search - 4 sales
    Frank Lloyd Wright - 6 unique searches - 4 sales
    Espirito santo and brazil - 1 unique search - 3 sales
    cowbird warbler - 1 unique search - 3 sales
    Boscastle - 2 unique searches - 3 sales

Note that there are only 2 nature oriented photos on this list, polar bears and cowbirds. There are also 3 travel images, 2 personality images, and the rest are objects or concepts.

Now, if I apply these same stats to the last year, here are the results:

Unique searches -

Christmas - 156 searches - 6 sales
    globe - 122 searches - 5 sales
    london - 121 searches - 4 sales
    family - 118 searches - 1 sale
    dubai - 116 searches - 14 sales
    dog - 114 searches - 0 sales
    cat - 108 searches - 1 sale
    iPod - 107 searches - 4 sales
    money - 106 searches - 3 sales
    New York - 105 searches - 3 sales

Interesting - guess the wisdom about dogs and cats is true - popular to search, but only 1 sale in a year between them! Anyone want to plan a trip to Dubai?

Sales -

meditation - 18 searches - 23 sales
    charles darwin - 53 searches - 17 sales
    frank lloyd wright - 21 searches - 16 sales
    dubai - 116 searches - 14 sales
    swimmer - 12 searches - 14 sales
    car rental - 10 searches - 13 sales
    iphone - 96 searches - 13 sales
    kangaroo - 40 searches - 13 sales
    northamptonshire - 8 searches - 13 sales
    rat and fast food - 2 unique searches - 13 sales

Ok, absolutely have to arrange a trip to Dubai! Also, if anyone has a meditation center designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Charles Darwin, in Dubai will really have winner on their hands! Note again, only 2 nature oriented images, if you count the rat.

I wish I could combine some of the searches to rank sales with Unique click throughs (number of images looked at vs number purchased), but I can't. It would also be nice to be able to rank based on selling price/usage, but that information is also not available.

Still, this should give us some idea about what is selling and begin to give us an idea what the marketplace is looking for. Your comments?
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Re: Stock Images Search Statistics

Postby Lug1 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:12 am

Great analysis Jim on the inner workings of Alamy. I'll have to now figure out how to get to Dubai to get the images they are looking for. LOL. Hopefully the posting works this time.

Bob
Lug1

Postby jamesfc on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Bob and congratulations on your recent sale!! I am seeing a lot of search activity on Alamy since the first of the year - hopefully it will soon result in more sales.

Jim
Jim Caldwell
NANPA, NAPP, PSA, CNPA
Florida Master Naturalist - Coastal Systems, Upland certified
Forum moderator
jamesfc
Site Admin

Postby NancyR on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Jim

Interesting statistics. My website is on PhotoShelter and they are really getting the info out on keywording and SEO info. I've been trying to update my site with their info to hopefully get more searches to my site. It's interesting to note that you found people are searching by phrases or at least 2 words not just one. That's exactly what PhotoShelter is saying.

NancyR
NancyR

Postby aprillove20 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 am

Good insightful information you've shared Jim! I must say that it is worth noting down! Appreciated your thoughts on sharing this one!
Los Angeles Camera Rentals here http://www.losangelescamerarentals.com
aprillove20

Postby honeyjames on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 pm

It will also be pleased to order Price / based on usage, but that information is useless. I have been trying to update their information and I hope to get more search to my site site. I like this forum.
honeyjames

Postby ericwatson on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 pm

I wish I could combine some of the research to the level of sales with a single click, but I can not. It would be nice to be able classification based on the price of sales / use, but this information is not available.
ericwatson

Return to Stock Photography